Route 66 Part 2...Tulsa OK to Lupton AZ.
Next along 66 we arrive at the ancient village of "Old Laguna". Dedicated to Saint Joseph, the mission was built in 1699. San Jose Mission is built in the early Pueblo – style architecture, and unlike other missions of the same period, is constructed of field stone, adobe, mortar, and plaster. The interior white plaster is renewed regularly. The inside of the massive walls measure 105 feet by 22 feet, and the only openings in the fortress like structure are the doorway and a small window in the upper front below the twin bells, which are set in the parapet.
San Jose is famous for its interior decoration. Original Laguna art and rare early Spanish paintings adorn the walls and altar. The ornately carved wooden doors welcome visitors year round. Mural in red, green, yellow, and black decorate the earthen walls. The ceiling above the sanctuary is painted with Laguna symbols of a rainbow, the sun, moon, and stars. The large animal skin which covers the altar contains an abundance of multi-colored designs. All the woodwork in the mission is elaborately carved, including the vigas of the latticed ceiling. A flight of steep, narrow steps leads to the choir loft and the small window, which provides for a fine view of the pueblo below. San Jose de Laguna Mission Church San Jose Mission Church
1 Friar Rd., Laguna Pueblo, NM
The whitewashed San Jose Mission Church was erected in 1701. It is the tallest building of the pueblo and is the center of the religious festivities of the village.
route 66attractionsmother roadOld Laguna NMchurchsmissionsLaguna Pubelo NMSan Jose Mission Church